M LEGAL SERVICES
(Trading as McGrath & Co and McGrath Litigation)
This Privacy Notice sets out the standards you can expect from us and how we comply with data protection laws when we request or hold personal information (“personal data”) about you and how you get access to a copy and what you can do if you think the standards are not being met.
About Personal Information
Personal data is information about you as an individual. We will safeguard your personal data and will only disclose it with your consent and/or where it is lawful to do so.
Types of Personal Data We Process
We only process personal data that is relevant to the legal services that we are providing to you.
By instructing us to deal with your matter, you will be consenting to us obtaining and processing this information in order to deal with your case.
Who The Information May Be Shared With
We share personal information when this is necessary to provide the service we offer and you have instructed us to deal with and when we do so we will comply with all aspects of the relevant data protection laws.
The organisations we may share your personal information with include (but is not limited to):
- A Barrister or other Lawyer who is instructed to deal with and/or advise on your case.
- Organisations where we need to obtain information in order to progress and/or deal with your case.
- Our linked (but entirely independent) firm, McGrath Litigation Partnership.
- Members of staff employed by M Legal Services or the linked firm McGrath Litigation Partnership,will have access to the information we hold in the course of their employment but these employees are bound to keep this confidential. They may share information about cases and clients with other employees where that is deemed to be in the best interests of clients and to assist in assessing and progressing your case.
Retention Period for Information Collected
Your personal information will not be retained for any longer than is necessary for the purpose for which we have collected and processed the information.
You can also contact us to obtain a copy of our retention policies.
While we retain your personal data, we will ensure that it is kept secure and that unauthorised persons do not access it. Once the retention period has been reached, your personal data will be permanently and securely deleted and destroyed in accordance with our retention policies.
Access to Personal Information
You can find out if we hold any personal data about you by making a “Subject Access Request” by writing (marked Private and Confidential) to
The Practice Manager,
McGrath & Co,
2nd Floor Gazette Buildings,
168 Corporation Street, Birmingham,
The Company’s Disclosure Officers
The Disclosure Officers are Ajay Verma and Errol Robinson.
Where we collect your personal data you have the right to :
- Withdraw your consent at anytime (where relevant).
- Lodge a complaint with the Supervisory Authority (the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)).
We will ensure that:
- We protect and ensure that no unauthorised person has access to your data.
- That your personal data is shared with other persons or organisations only for legitimate purposes.
- That we don’t keep it longer than necessary.
- That we will not make your personal data available for commercial use unless you give specific consent if this becomes necessary.
- That we will consider your request to stop processing or erase your personal data.
Apart from using our complaints system, if you have any complaints about the way your personal data has been handled, you can contact the ICO for independent advice at the following address:
Information Commission’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Telephone : 0303 123 1113 www.ico.org.uk
The Data Controllers
M Legal Services Limited is the Data Controller for the personal information we hold, the contact details for which is our office address.